[Skip to content]

text size: larger / normal / smaller
East Riding of Yorkshire Council Logo
East Riding Museums logo
.

Gaols

Parts of the local gaols which held East Riding prisoners awaiting transportation survive today.

Beverley gaols and the East Riding House of Correction

There was a Borough Gaol in Toll Gavel, Beverley until 1810, and it is likely that Beverley prisoners awaiting trial in the East Riding quarter sessions would have been held here.

Until 1810, prisoners from the wider East Riding awaiting trial at the quarter sessions would have been held in the East Riding house of correction adjacent to the Beverley Guildhall.

A new East Riding house of correction was built next to the new Sessions House on New Walk in 1810. From 1810, prisoners awaiting trial in the quarter sessions, or transportation after being sentenced, would have been held here. Although much of the 1810 house of correction has now been demolished, the turnkey’s hexagonal house which sat in the centre of the prison yards can still be seen today. 

After 1810, the old house of correction adjacent to Beverley Guildhall was turned into a borough gaol, and used mainly as a temporary lock-up for prisoners for awaiting magistrates court trials in the Guildhall.

Hull Gaol

In 1785, New Gaol on Castle Street replaced an older medieval gaol, and those prisoners accused of transportable crimes due to be tried in the Kingston-Upon-Hull Quarter Sessions would have been held here.

In 1829, New Gaol was replaced with a new combined Hull Gaol and House of Correction on Kingston Street.

Both buildings have long since been demolished. However, an old wall standing in what is now the Trinity burial ground is thought to be the wall of New Gaol exercise yard.

York Gaol

Parts of the gaol used for holding prisoners awaiting trial at York Assizes survive today as the York Castle Museum.

NEXT CHAPTER: East Riding villages

[ Zoom ]
Guildhall gaol
Plan of the Guildhall gaol in 1853, reproduced in Victoria County History volume 6
[ Zoom ]
Plan of ER House of Correction
Plan of the East Riding House of Correction, showing the male and female cells and the treadmill, 1870s. East Riding Archives and Local Studies Service, DDBD/5/79.
Octagonal house, originally turnkey's house
The central octagonal building from the East Riding house of correction, originally the turnkey's house, can still be seen.
New Gaol, Hull
The New Gaol, Castle Street Hull, 1789. Image from the Gott Collection, A1.91 9/46.1.
[ Zoom ]
Hull Gaol rules and regulations
The rules and regulations of Hull New Gaol in the early 19th century. From the collections of the Hull History Centre, C CAG/1/2.
York Castle Museum
Part of the old York Gaol, now incorporated in the Castle Museum]